My much bragged about diaper cake is done! My lovely wife got some baby goodies to decorate it so I was able to finish it off. But first I’ll start at the beginning. I found this excellent tutorial already written on this “Crafty Chic’s” blog (http://craftychicsblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/diaper-cake-getting-started.html) (and in much better, more precise detail than I’d every use) so I’ll just run through the highlights of mine (and alterations):
I started off by flattening the box the diapers came in as the platform and I used some awesome paper I got at Resources for Rhode Island Educators to cover the top (see my post on this amazing place here: http://craftymadre.com/2013/08/25/heaven-im-in-heaven/).
I rolled about 60 diapers and tied them with embroidery floss. Keeping them rolled while I tied was not as easy as I was hoping, so I grabbed a pipe cleaner to temporarily hold them closed while I tied (the instructions suggested rubber bands, but I didn’t have any and I had this vision of a rubber band snapping and whacking my friend’s baby in the head at 3am). I used a really plain ribbon to hold each layer together but then decorated them with a fancier ribbon.
The top layer is just one diaper in the center with about 6 others around it. For the middle layer, I made a top layer again and then put a row of diapers around the outside. For the bottom layer, I made the middle layer and then put another row of diapers around that (Crafty Chic really broke this part down to a science).
Then, I piled them all up and put a skewer down the center to make sure they didn’t all topple over in the car or something. Like I said, I tied much prettier ribbons with nice bows around each layer (I really tried to make the bows as fancy as I could, but they’re definitely a skill I need more work on). And I added all kinds of fun baby stuff as decoration: baby spoons; wash cloths; a little set of keys; travel-sized lotion, shampoo, baby wipes, butt cream, and baby powder (I actually pulled out the middle diaper from the top layer and stuck the powder in there).
I also promised the bouquet I made for our other friend who’s having a baby:
I took a few left over diapers from the box and rolled them a little more loosely, tying them with just one string. I stuck them on skewers that I had tied and glued pieces of ribbon to as “leaves” (really, just to hold the diapers up). I stuck spoons in some of them (just because they were one of the goodies my wife brought me to add), put some washcloths around the outside as “greens”, and filled the vase up with some more travel size baby stuff. Another little bow finished it off (I did better with this one).
I’m actually entering the cake in a Craft-Dee BowZ September challenge, because there’s a bow-making kit up for grabs: http://craft-deebowz.blogspot.com/2013/09/september-challenge.html. I could certainly use it!