My first postcard swap

I’m so excited!  I’m participating in Do What You Love’s Great Big Stitched Postcard Swap (http://dowhatyouloveforlife.com/blog/2013/09/the-great-big-stitched-postcard-swap-is-back-design-course-giveaway/).  It’s my first “swap” of any kind and it’s so much fun.  I’m swapping a postcard (as the title suggests, it has to have some kind of stitching on it) with someone in New Zealand.  This is especially fun because my parents have vacationed in Australia and New Zealand a few times and I’ve heard so many stories/seen pictures that they brought back.  This makes it feel even more “close to home”.

So, here’s my card:

IMG_8836

I used a few pieces of scrapbook card stock paper as a stiffish background (knowing that it would be going a LONG way).  I cut the butterflies out of another piece of paper and glued them on then sewed over the top in a kind of a flight pattern.  I used butterflies because of the airmail connection (you know, because butterflies fly).  I can’t find the normal foot for my machine so I used the “N” foot and a stitch that’s made for elastic.  I actually kind of like the way it came out.  I used a metallic thread on top and a dark green in the bobbin- which made for a neat contrast.  The theme for this swap was “Celebrate!”, so I stamped on that word with the subtitle of “Fly Free” (to go with the butterflies).  I’m celebrating my first swap!

I taped a piece of white cardstock on the back to cover up the stitching and write my message and used washi tape around the edges to firm it up (and as a bit of a border).

I can’t wait to get MY card, and I’ll be sure to share it when I do.

Oh, and just for the heck of it, I’m entering my card into a few challenges:

Created With Love Challenges’ “Sewing- Real or Faux” challenge (http://createdwithlovechallenges.blogspot.com/2013/10/cwlc-62-sewing-real-or-faux.html).  I absolutely love sewing on paper and there are some great entries in this challenge.

Twist of Faith Cards’ “Things with Wings” challenge.  The butterfly is such a powerful symbol of inspiration (rebirth and resurrection) that I think this is perfect for their challenge.  (http://twistoffaithcards.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/challenge-59-things-with-wings.html)

Ooh-la-la Creations Challenges’ “Things with Wings” challenge (http://ooh-la-la-creationschallenges.blogspot.com/2013/10/things-with-wings-at-ooh-la-la.html)  I love all the birds and butterflies in this challenge, but my favorite is a winner from the last challenge, Marina, with a little girl with wings.  Her card is stunning.

About these ads

25 thoughts on “My first postcard swap

1. Jamie says:

Fabulous card! I like how the “elastic” stitching turned out too. = )

2. Alli D says:

Gorgeous card, Love the colours. Thanks for joining our Things with Wings challenge at Ooh La La Creations.
    Alli xx

3. Zella says:

I have never created a postcard – I always think they would be harder to do than a card. But look at you!! Yours is absolutely beautiful!!! That stitched flight is adorable!!! Thanks for joining us this week at Twist of Faith!!
    Blessings,
    Zella
    Twist of Faith DT

4. Stargroves (Anne) says:

What a lovely postcard for the challenge, like the stitching you added. Thank you for joining our Things With Wings Challenge at Ooh La La.
    Hugs
    Anne

5. great card. love those butterfles. Thanks for joining the fun at Created with love Challenges.
    Linda K. DT

6. DawnD says:

great card, love the butterflies and the stitching! Thanks for joining us this week at Created With Love Challenges for our Sewing Faux or Real Challenge!
    DawnD

7. Tracey F. says:

What a neat card…and a really neat swap idea! You are right about the symbolism of butterflies and they are perfect for our “Things with Wings” challenge! I love the stitching! Thanks for sharing with us at Twist of Faith this week! Hope to see you again soon!
    Tracey F., DT Twist of Faith Card Challenges

8. Chris Hanselman says:

Great card. Love the butterflies. Thanks for joining our Stitching Challenge at Created With Love Challenges

~~Chris

9. Lovely! I really like the stitched “flight path” effect

10. rachel taylor says:

what a lovely post card card thanks for sharing with CWLC this week Rachel DT

11. craftymadre says:

It was so fun! I loved being part of such a wide reaching swap.

12. squarebird says:

If you ever consider taking part in something like this again, please let me know as I would love to join in the fun! Thanks :)

I'd love to hear what you think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s