I made a stamp!

I’ve been seeing so many people making their own stamps lately and have been dying to try… so here goes!  I don’t have any fancy carving tools and am not quite willing to invest in them yet.  I also saw a warning on a blog not to waste time with the cheap ones (http://thegiftshed.wordpress.com/2013/08/07/wednesday-wip-26/).  I tried potato stamps recently with my VBC kids, and Dawn gave me the last bit of encouragement I needed with the beautiful eraser stamps she posted yesterday (http://girlunwinding.wordpress.com/2013/08/06/t-tuesday-and-some-art/).

I saw Aaron at Imperfect Impulses make a stamp out of foam using a die cutter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoIiFTjDYzs&list=UUjU04ybwhaF0OyvQp-4Y1Eg).  Have I mentioned how much I love his YouTube tutorials?  Be sure to check out his blog, too: http://imperfectimpulses.wordpress.com/.  I don’t have a die cutter but I do have an X-acto knife and I’m not afraid to use it.  🙂

I also happened to have saved the spool from my weed whacker last time I changed it (have I mentioned I save everything?) and it seemed like the perfect size for a stamp.  I traced it onto a piece of foam and got to stamp cutting.  I figured I’d start with a sun, because it’s a pretty versatile image to have and seemed easy enough.  On the other side of the spool, I used the scraps from the sun to make a couple little flying birds.  And Ta da!

Image

A recent tutorial from The Frugal Crafter showed me some neat ways to use markers to stamp different colors at once and then color them in.  She used chalk for color, which I don’t have, but colored pencils worked well.  (http://thefrugalcrafter.wordpress.com/2013/08/06/old-office-labels-and-osa-challenge-235/)

I used my new creations on an art journal page.  I used to do art journaling pretty regularly but haven’t in so long.  I broke out an old journal and decided to use it for experimenting, the way I’ve been using index cards for the past couple months.  And here it is:

Image

I’m going to submit it to the Artists in Blogland “Color this Quote” Challenge: http://artistsinblogland.blogspot.com/2013/08/color-this-quote-august-challenge.html

“Seize the Day” seemed like a pretty perfect quote for my jumping into stamp making.  I’ve been thinking about it for a while and there’s no time like the present to start.  I used my stamp press to lay out the words and branches and the “S” is from a new sheet of letters stamps I got from The Stampsmith (http://www.stampsmith.net/).  I watercolored around the stamps for a little background.  Of course, as soon as I finished it, I realized that I spelled “seize” wrong.  What happened to “‘i’ before ‘e’ except after ‘c'”?  Oh well, that’s what my Photostamper app is for.

I’m also going to submit this to Our Creative Corner’s “Words, Words, Words” challenge.  It seems kind of strangely appropriate, given my spelling mistake.  Ha!  http://ourcreativecorner6.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/words-words-words.html

All in all, I’m pretty excited about my new handmade stamp and even more excited to have started art journaling again.

Advertisements

24 thoughts on “I made a stamp!

1. What a great way to seize the day indeed! Great stamp – and I sense there are lots more in your future.

2. Making your own stamps can get very addictive. It is such a cool feeling seeing your pwn creation on a page.

3. butterfly says:

How cool to be carving your own stamps, and I love your sunny page, with one of my all-time favourite sayings. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Our Creative Corner.
    Alison x

4. Margie says:

Very impressed at your stamp making and thank you so much for sharing the results with us at Our Creative Corner. Margie x

5. Bev says:

What a great tutorial on different stamps! Love your creation!
    Great links as well.

6. […] I used a couple stamps from a cheap set that I just got at a local discount store for the “Have a Great Day” and palm tree (with this challenge in mind).  It didn’t stamp very well (I guess I know why it was at the discount store) so I went over it a bit with my trusty Sharpies and also added a couple coconuts while I was at it.  I used my awesome stamp-press to put down the letters for “Life’s a Beach”.  I used Distress Ink for the black, hence the “distressed” look, and combinations of stamp-pads, magic markers, and Bingo daubers for the tree and sun.  The sun is one I made recently and am still pretty proud of it.  (Here’s my post about that, if you’re interested: https://craftymadre.com/2013/08/08/i-made-a-stamp/) […]

7. So happy you “seized the day” to make a stamp and this whimsical art journal page. Thank you for joining in our challenge at Artists in Blogland!

8. Your stamps are great … there is definitely more than one way to get there!
    Your sunshine is especially wonderful and would make a nice flower too…
    You and Dawn and others in blogland are getting me moving in the direction to do some stamp carving again…I found my tools and would like to try some erasers as this time of year school supplies are plentiful and often on sale.
    oxo

• craftymadre says:

You’re right! This is a great time to get erasers. Did you see Dawn post that the white ones are better than the orange ones? I have to remember that. I bet you could make some great stamps!

9. […] Crafty Madre took the leap from potatoes to craft foam.  Check her out! […]

10. dawnsrays says:

So proud of you!! you took it in your own direction and used what you had! BRAVO and I love the center of that sun!
    p.s I linked to you today, too

11. mikeandweegee says:

Fantastic idea! I have never “art journaled” but your page has inspired me. Good luck with the stamps. Post updates on new ones! They look, great!

• craftymadre says:

Thanks! Art journaling is good for so many things. I’ve used it therapeutically in the past, but it’s also a great way to do something when you want to be creative but don’t want to “make” something or to try out new techniques.

• mikeandweegee says:

Brilliant idea. I will admit, that your posting has me intriguedd. I will probably give it a try — although it won’t look as amazing as the samples you put up. Keep crafting. Love your posts.

12. Tracy says:

Looks like you had fun. Watch out, though… stamp-making is addictive 🙂 I’ve made half a dozen alphabet and number sets as well as numerous pattern stamps. I use a lino-cutting set that I picked up at a bargain price.

I'd love to hear what you think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s