Birthday Card Ministry

So… I’ve been loving making these cards.  I keep thinking I’m going to stockpile cards so I have a bunch to choose from whenever an occasion comes up, but as soon as I make one I want to give it to someone.  I just so happen to go to a church with a huge congregation and every month the “Carillon” (kind of like a newsletter) lists all the congregants’ birthdays for the month.  So I decided to start sending them to people in the church.  I can do them for other occasions, too, like weddings and funerals.  There will always be some occasion to make a card for.

Here are the ones I made today:

ImageI went with this theme specifically for the Drunken Stampers’ challenge this week: Beaches.  http://drunkenstampers.wordpress.com/2013/08/10/place-beach-drunken-stampers-challenge-136/  This “term” their themes are People, Places, and Things, so there are tons of possibilities.  I had so much fun with the 3 cards I made for their movie-themed last term.  I love the way these ladies think.

Anyway, the “Life’s a beach” is kind of a play on “Life’s a (some other word that begins with ‘b’ and ends with ‘ch’)”.  Unintentionally, but perfectly enough, I stamped the “e” upside-down on my first one.

Image

I used a couple stamps from a cheap set that I just got at a local discount store for the “Have a Great Day” and palm tree (with this challenge in mind).  It didn’t stamp very well (I guess I know why it was at the discount store) so I went over it a bit with my trusty Sharpies and also added a couple coconuts while I was at it.  I used my awesome stamp-press to put down the letters for “Life’s a Beach”.  I used Distress Ink for the black, hence the “distressed” look, and combinations of stamp-pads, magic markers, and Bingo daubers for the tree and sun.  The sun is one I made recently and am still pretty proud of it.  (Here’s my post about that, if you’re interested: https://craftymadre.com/2013/08/08/i-made-a-stamp/)

I’m also going to enter it into Our Creative Corner’s “Words, Words, Words” challenge: http://ourcreativecorner6.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/words-words-words.html.  This will be my second entry for that challenge (they allow a max of 3) and my first entry also had a little mistake in it.  I hope they don’t think I mess up everything but if they do, that’s okay, too.

Advertisements

22 thoughts on “Birthday Card Ministry

1. butterfly says:

Fantastic cards – I love the free, fresh look of them, and I actually really love the upside-down ‘e’ – it makes it all look really fun and spontaneous! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Our Creative Corner.
    Alison x

2. Karen Schroeder says:

Love your cards…they make me feel happy! Thanks for joining us at Drunken Stampers!

3. Redanne says:

I do love the suns and the way you created the beach. Both cards are lovely. Thanks so much for joining in at Our Creative Corner ‘Words’ challenge. Anne x

4. Chelle K says:

Good job..thanks for joining us at drunken stampers.

5. Lee says:

Those cards are great! Your sun is lovely and I will have to check out your post about its creation. Thanks for joining the party at Drunken Stampers!

6. DianeW says:

Awww, I could relax on this beach any day! Very fun cards! Thanks for hanging with the Drunken Stampers!

7. Both cards are ace, sometimes the best ones we do are down to happy accidents! Thanks for joining the fun at Drunken Stampers.x

8. Very cute cards. Love those palm trees. Great cards. Thank you for all your lovely comments on my blog. I appreciate all your visits.
    Kate

9. naturalannie says:

I love these! And I like the upside down “e”. Its tumbling on the beach!

10. That’s what I do too – I have a ton of cards made up that I use for birthdays and stuff. I’ve made WAY more cards than I have people to give them to, though. lol. 🙂

11. donnastamps1971 says:

Great cards! How lovely are you to make cards for people at your church! I never would have seen the E was upside down if you hadn’t pointed it out 🙂
    Thanks for playing along with the Drunken Stampers this week, nice to see you again 🙂

12. thefrugalcrafter says:

love those cards with your homemade stamps!

13. These cards are fabulous! Your suns are awesome! I didn’t catch that you stamped the e upside down until I read about it! It still looks cool! Thanks for playing along with the Drunken Stampers for the Place: Beach Challenge!

I'd love to hear what you think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s