Not my favorite card ever

ImageSo, I made a card for a couple of reasons other than having to make a card for someone.  First reason: I needed to try my sewing machine on a non-buttonhole stitch to see if it was still working because I couldn’t get it to work on the buttonhole.  Second reason:  I wanted to make a wedding card for the Stampotique challenge theme of Weddings.  http://stampotiquedesignerschallenge.blogspot.com/2013/08/sdc113-wedding.html  The problem is, I don’t know anyone getting married in the near future.  That’s why, I think, I really don’t love this card.  I wasn’t making it for the someone.  My heart wasn’t really in it.

I went through my scrapbook sticker box and found a pad of velum wedding note papers and a sheet of black and white wedding-looking stickers.  I like either of them individually, but they don’t work too well together (the two blacks and whites don’t match, if that makes any sense).  Anyway, I sewed the velum onto a card with a fun stitch (not the best stitch for paper, but that’s one part of the card I actually like).  (Oh, and the machine does work, I just forgot to bring down the button hole sizing guide.)

I thought it still needed something, so I grabbed some really old silver craft dusting powder.  It’s not really powdery anymore, so I scraped the top a little with the blunt end of my brush and then used the brush end to put some on the diagonal corners.

Image

I remembered my fun with stencils lately, so I cut a heart out of some heavy cardstock and put a couple hearts on the inside.  I really wasn’t happy with the dusting on the front (I thought it was too dark) so I put more in the inside but I did it through a piece of tulle.  Now that I finally liked.

Image

What do you do with cards that you don’t love?  Do you still give them away?  Do you keep working on them until you do like them?  Do you scrap them altogether?  I’m not sure what to do with this one.  Oh well, you can’t win ’em all.

But here’s something you can win:  a new stamp set from Paper Smooches.  Check out their blog and comment for a chance to win.  http://papersmooches.blogspot.com/2013/08/august-dt-blog-hop.html  Then, join in their super fun blog hop.  So much inspiration, so little time!

Update:  After sleeping on it, I woke up in the morning thinking I should just try taking off the heart sticker.  That was the biggest thing that I didn’t like.  And (what do you know?) it peeled right off!

IMG_7748

Advertisements

16 thoughts on “Not my favorite card ever

1. Sam Read says:

Aww that’s a wonderful sentiment. thanks for sharing with us at Stampotique.

2. sarindajones says:

Clean and simple is always a good option. Thanks for joining us at Stampotique Designer’s challenge. xx
    sarinda

3. Kay Wallace says:

I think your card is lovely, Madre! Really classy that it is created in shades of black and white! Very formal!

4. Sue says:

I really like this, I love the sentiment, I would definitely keep it for later. Thanks for sharing with us at Stampotiuqe Designers Challenge. Sue xx

5. kaz says:

I’d put it away for ‘just in case’. It’s beautiful and stylish with the dusting powder. Thanks for joining us at Stampotique.

• craftymadre says:

Good idea. I keep meaning to get a “stash” started for those last minute card needs. I just have to find a way to get my heart in them when I’m not making them for someone specific.

• I too have faced this situation where I need a project for a challenge and it doesn’t match with someone specific to give it to. One thing I do is to make something special for myself! How often do we do that? Hardly ever in my case! I’m always busy making a last-minute project for an event or a challenge deadline so when I get an opportunity to craft for myself, it’s a bonus! I usually make a tag, a bookmark or an ATC in those cases – something quick and fun that I can use on a gift bag, put in other projects or tuck into a card later on. Another option I go for is to make something humorous with a funny sentiment or a play on words – it often provides more latitude. Or better yet, twist the theme to make it better match something you can use. For example, the happy couple often send out thank you cards – so a fancy thank you card could be used for a wedding theme!

I’m so glad you shared your project with us for the Stampotique Designer’s Challenge. Best of luck in the draw.
        Val 🙂

• craftymadre says:

Those are great ideas! I’ve been making random Christmas cards and I always think of someone who would like it (even if that’s not the person I end up giving it to). Thanks a lot.

6. Jenn says:

Where do you find the inspiration to get creative and create your crafts? I wish I was able to do stuff like this.

• craftymadre says:

You totally can do stuff like this! If I can, anyone can. I read a lot of craft blogs and have a huge Pinterest collection for inspiration. And that’s why I’ve been joining challenges, especially with specific themes. They really motivate me to try something that I probably wouldn’t have tried otherwise. And thanks so much!!

• Jenn says:

I recently had a big decorating project for redecorating our home this summer. It was a lot of fun! The blog post I posted about my lamps that you liked, that was part of my project. I will share more. But now that my project is coming to an end, I’ve lost my crafty mojo. LOL I’m trying to get motivated again so I can work with my kids in creating cool crafts for their schooling.
        And you are welcome! I really enjoy reading your posts! 🙂

I'd love to hear what you think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s