I posted a couple days ago about getting a Gelli plate, which I’m totally thrilled with. I used my art journal to try it out and made a couple really neat backgrounds, which I used tonight. Here’s my post about making them: https://craftymadre.com/2013/09/11/gelli-madness/. This month, Stampotique Designer’s Challenge is challenging people to “Try a new technique” (http://stampotiquedesignerschallenge.blogspot.com/2013/09/sdc116-try-new-technique.html), so I did.
Not only was the gelli plate background new to me, but I also tried my hand at “Found Poetry“. I first heard about it on this blog, http://slowdownsunday.org/2013/08/06/color-this-quote/, but have seen it a few times since and been really intrigued. She kindly included this really great guide on how to write them, as well: https://secure.ncte.org/library/NCTEFiles/Resources/Books/Sample/18488chap1.pdf . It’s basically taking words from an existing piece (a book, a newspaper article, a magazine cover, the bathroom wall) and rearranging them to make your own poem.
My first attempt at found poetry was on my new prayer journal, an idea I got from one of my favorite bloggers: Molly Lolly Loo (http://mollylollyloo.blogspot.com/search/label/Art%20Journal). I’ve been reading Jan Richardson’s “In the Sanctuary of Women” (http://www.sanctuaryofwomen.com/) in preparation for a retreat I’m attending that’s being led by her at the end of the month. It’s such an inspiring book that I wanted a dedicated place to keep my thoughts as I’m reading. So, I took a plain old Composition Book (thanks to the $1 back-to-school sale at Staples) and decoupaged some pictures from National Geographic on it as my “canvas”. I used words from the catalogue of the retreat center to create “poems” on the front and back. The whole process was really amazing. Here’s what I ended up with:
Well, I loved the process so much that I tried it again in my art journal on top of my gelli prints, this time with cut out words from “The Wisdom of the Hindus”. (I created an altered book with it about a year ago but had several pages left over that I cut out to give myself more room for embellishments.) Here are both pages in tonight’s gelli plate spread:
I decorated them both with black Sharpie and White Pitt Pen after, and I really like them. The sun was actually ANOTHER new technique. I used my new brayer (gotta love 40% off at Michaels) to put yellow acrylic craft paint over a piece of scrapbook paper to kind of “alter” it.
I cut out the sun and glued in on the middle of the page, pasting the cut-out word “grace” in the middle. So simple yet so satisfying.