Glass bottle edger

ImageWe got married in our backyard last September and had a ton of wine, beer, root beer, and Mexi-Coke bottles (my favorites).  I couldn’t bear to recycle them and knew I’d find something to do with them if I kept them for a while.  Now that it’s Spring and the snow’s finally melted and the ground unfrozen, I decided to “plant them” and use them as edgers.

I made circle of them, buried upside down, around our peach tree.  It was really easy.  I picked a distance from the tree, just outside the mulch and weed barrier I currently had down and used my “tools” to measure out the radius from the tree trunk.  I loosened the ground with a sharp spade, pushed them in as far as I could with my hands, and then used a rubber mallet to pound them in the rest of the way.  Believe it or not, none of them broke in the process!  Unfortunately, there was one casualty:Image

My spade broke soon after I started in on the wine bottle edger for around the fire pit.  I was starting to get a blister on my palm, so I guess it was a good time to take a break, anyway.  I was, however, pleasantly surprised when the pattern matched up perfectly at the end.  Sheer luck!

Now, we have a pretty and inexpensive edger (about 15 cents a foot) that reminds us of our special day.

Image

Painted Flower Pots

My son painted flower pots for his other mom for Valentine’s Day and then we used them to start plants for our garden. The top picture was one I sprayed with chalkboard paint (I love that stuff) and then he drew and wrote on it. Unfortunately, when I sprayed it with sealant (so the chalk didn’t smudge or run if it got wet) the wetness of the sealant destroyed most of the chalk design. (Whoops!)

The middle picture is of a couple he painted with a flower motif with foam brushes and acrylic paint. I love that, too. It’s cheap, easy clean-up, and it comes in a million colors. I sprayed them with glossy sealant and they turned out great!

We planted several herbs from seeds and have been trying to start new plants from scraps. We’ve been doing well with the green and yellow onion. We tried celery, which grew great in water but when we put it in dirt it withered and died. We’re trying some romaine “butts” now. In the water they’re growing like weeds. (Fingers crossed.) To start the seeds, we used Keurig coffee pods so they wouldn’t get lost in the big pot. I’ll let you know how they transplant!

20130328-002455.jpgUPDATE:  The Keurig pod seed starters did not work out.  😦  Apparently, there’s some kind of mesh, build-in filter that the roots got all tangled up in.  And, I think I used too much coffee grounds mixed in with my potting soil on a few of the plants.  Oh well.  I guess I’ll need to find something else to use these for.